Nobody’s fool

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My third entry in the self-portrait marathon

How public. Like a frog.

1. “…To tell one’s name—the livelong June—
    To an admiring Blog!”

…sorry, couldn’t resist!

2. You look more serious than I imagine you. Like the green tones though.

3. Reminds me somehow of the Gulag Archipelago and Kafka; not that I’m saying you look like Solzhenitsyn here (we know you don’t, we’ve seen you in colour), or that NOBODY might be, well, whoever, and we know you’re not on trial, oh sheesh. Maybe I’d better stop here. It’s a rather striking image in a number of ways…

4. MB – Heh. Yep!

Patry – Sometimes I’m fairly solemn, actually. Like all day yesterday, while my niece danced spontaneously and told silly stories, it was all I could do to crack a smile.

Brenda – This portrait shows a side of me that I’m not particularly proud of. Oddly, all the “nobody”s do nothing to counteract the effect. I suppose I’ll continue to use this self-portrait marathon as an excuse to confront issues of ego and self-image.

I don’t know if that addresses your comment or not.

5. Dave, your green self (I like it) reminds me so much of a portrait by…(famous old or new master) can’t think of it now – must try and find it and send it to you.

“tree flesh” – never thought of it that way. But isn’t it generous of trees to give us their flesh so freely, so that we can cover it with our poor attempts to find a meaning in the universe? A meaning they already know, without the benefit of thought. Or am I antropomorphising?

6. Nothing wrong with anthropomorphising — it’s often the most authentic way to relate to the non-human world. But I do feel that making paper from trees is a criminal waste of their flesh, which could be better employed for furniture and other durable, well-craftred things. Paper can be made from rags, rice, kenaf, hemp — you name it.

7. *I suppose I’ll continue to use this self-portrait marathon to confront issues of ego and self-image.”

Yup. Me too.

And I really like this one.

8. Thanks, mary. I’m looking forward to seeing what else you (and Brenda and the others) come up with. I think I;’m almost out of ideas, myself.

9. Why is it that I seriously browse my subscriptions, reading here, there, everywhere, and when I come to your site I’ll read something you’ve written and end up having a good chuckle. Or outright laugh.

You could never be out of ideas, yourself, Dave! You could start a whole new series. In my neck of the woods (or street trees, I do live in a city), my self portrait is done tired of walking, but I came all the way to oil paints, and that is where Natalie told me to begin. Sigh, I shoulda listened…

There are two more weeks in this marathon. Just a reminder!

10. O.K., thanks for the encouragement. I’m not gonna force it, because I’m curious to see what happens (if anything). But I’ll be sure to stop by and see your oil paintings.