Psalm for the Rapture

Farther away — much farther,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

high as a predator drone above the caution tape,
distant as a satellite from the chalk outline on the street,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

safe from the suck of the swamp,
its cottonmouths & mosquitoes,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

free from the burden of earth
& the deadly irredeemable stones,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

beyond the sting of conscience
& the discomfort of moral ambiguity,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

rapture me in the always-now of amnesia,
in the never-enough of consumption, rupture me,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god.

1. Oh my, so many layers of meaning, so despairing and powerful.

I love the photo of stone steps, Dave, but they look scary to walk on, as if they could all tumble down while walking on them – a shaky stairway to heaven?

2. Thanks. Nope, they’re very steady. All one thousand of them!

3. I was listening to a song earlier today that uses religious imagery to express sexual experience. The song may be influencing my view of your last photograph. Or it may be your fault.

4. Peter – Obviously, I don’t shy away from mixing sexual and religious metaphors. I find the mutual interpenetration of the two realms of experience fairly unproblematic; it’s the way both tend to get distorted by self-centredness and greed that ought to concern us, I believe.

5. Oh, Dave. This is beyond amazing. Three thousand miles away, I catch my breath.

6. I’m glad you liked it, Siona. Thanks for stopping by. It’s always an honor.

7. Dave, I think your response to my comment is right on. I might add prudishness to the things that may distort both our sexual and religious lives, but I guess prudishness is based in self-centeredness.

8. Maybe so, but it’s different enough that it wouldn’t have hurt to include that, too. (Come to think of it, I am myself somewhat prudish about prayer as well as sex.) I like any formulation that suggests that body and spirit are coterminous.

9. decidedly arborerotic