Plummer’s Hollow wildflower walk

For anyone in the area who might be interested, I’ll be leading a walk up the hollow on Saturday morning beginning at 9:00 a.m. The road is open to the public in any case, but only for the first mile and quarter. By joining this hike saunter, you’ll get to see parts of the property normally off-limits to casual visitors. Bring water, wear comfortable walking shoes, and drop me a line if you need directions. Our wildflower diversity isn’t as high as you might find in some other spots with less acidic soil, but the hollow’s very pretty this time of year, and of course I can natter on endlessly about forest history and stuff.

1. Yes, I wish I lived close enough to ya, Dave, that I could zip on down. Perhaps some other time, on my way to Ohio…

In the meantime, I love that pic of the flying squirrel. Damn! I’ve never seen one, ever, so I’m relishing the thought that you got to photograph one. Lucky dog, you.

2. I wish you’ns could be here, too.

Lucky dog, you.
    Not as lucky as you were with that otter the other day!

3. It’s simply not fair that you are 3000 miles away. I’d have to be put on more than a good pair of walking shoes to join you.

Love those pics of the flying squirrel, turtle, and the shelf fungus. Beautifiul life abounds in those Pennsylvania hills. Wish I could be there too.

4. Your comment on one of my recent post contained two words “d@mn” and “lucky”. So I shoot those words back at you in this comment, as I would {SO} like to hike up your holler on a wildflower “sainter”. It would be renewing to traverse north up several latitudes and rewind spring for myself. It would be almost like going in a time machine and I could enjoy spring as it is unfurling, rather than as it is recovering…so have an extra jolly time of it “on account” for your southern cousins and I wish y’all sunshine and bees and blossoms!

5. I need a good teacher for wildflowers, but I’m afraid my thoughts will be with the birds this weekend.

How long a trip from the (North) Jersey shore to you?

6. Five hours, at least.

There must be native plant groups in your area that offer field trips, no?

7. Cady May – You could be like Hal Borland when he was writing North with the Spring. But I do hope most of your trees manage to recover. Hard to believe they won’t.

8. Five hours, really?

I don’t know what sorts of groups there are, as I’m only involved with NJ Audubon, and they don’t offer much in the way of botany. There are a few trips to the Pine Barrens in late June.

;-)

9. Laura – There’s a Native Plant Society of New Jersey that seems to have field trips.

Gina Marie – So far, you and your boyfriend are still the only people who’ve committed, yeah. And that’s fine with me – I prefer a few people to a large group.

10. Thanks for that link, Dave. I see that they have meetings close to where I work.

Would love to hear a *trip report* from your wildflower walk!