Foggy morning: four quick takes

Foggy morning porch.
Two blowflies are fucking
on my knee.

Foggy July morning:
I can’t focus on anything
but that one red branch.

Foggy morning, late July.
I count the bird songs to see
which ones are missing.

Sun through fog:
the trees’ shadows stretch
half-way to the ground.

1. I love the variations on a theme. Very interesting transitions. I think the third one is my favorite.

2. I laughed at the first and pondered the rest. I love birds, so find the third the most to my liking, but I think they work best as you have them: a quartet.

3. It’s interesting how those few words can make my imagination run so far… Nice!

4. and a foggy morning it was here in west marin… sometimes i feel so used to it,,, i forget how poetic it really is……

5. Hi, all – thanks for stopping by!

Paisley – Yes, but I find that this very poetic-ness you mention makes fog a problematic subject. I tend to be personally rather wary of excessively lyrical content.

6. I’m on the third-poem bandwagon as well, and equally the second. That red branch is standing out clearer and clearer as I look at it.

7. If foggy mornings make you write like this, may you have more of us.

8. Thanks.

These reactions are quite useful. The third haiku was actually the one I expended the least thought and energy on. It goes to show that “inspiration” is sometimes highly over-rated. (And FWIW, my own favorite was the fourth.)

9. Well, I’m with you, Dave. The fourth one is a wonder. One of those “I can’t believe I or anyone else of whom I am aware has never thought of this before” moments.

10. Hi Dave,

I apologize for the spamlike comment, but I’m soliciting submissions for the Ringing of the Bards poetry blog carnival, August 11th.
    If you are interested, you can find more details at my blog.

All poems are welcome, but I’m highlighting religious and spiritual poetry this month.

Whether you submit or not, please come by and visit the carnival!

11. No need to apologize. In fact, if you’d left the comment on a more recent post, probably more people would’ve seen it.