- Best and Worst Ads of 2016: The Things We Can’t Unsee (Wall Street Journal)
Weapons manufacturer Lockheed Martin has been targeting children with propaganda, and the WSJ thinks that’s just great.
- The best and biggest memes of 2016 (The Daily Dot)
The Romans had bread and circuses; we have pizza and memes.
- Top 10 Food and Restaurant Trends of 2016 (Forbes)
Not bullshit hipster fads like food trucks and artisanal salt, but actual trends.
- Best in Beer 2016: Readers’ Choice & Editors’ Picks (Craft Beer & Brewing Magazine)
Holy hell, people. It’s just beer.
- The 20 games you shouldn’t miss in 2016 (Boing Boing)
I don’t like playing video games, but I love reading about them.
- The Listening Chaos: Year-End Chaos, Part V (Indy Metal Vault)
The five best metal albums of 2016 as chosen by a poet and English professor in Indianapolis.
- Best Books of 2016 (Goodreads)
Some best-of lists stop at 25 or 100. Wimps! Here are the 1,154 best books published in 2016.
- The 11 Best Viral Videos of 2016 Out of the 12 I Knew About (Paste)
“One thing that can be said about 2016 is: It had some viral videos in it.”
- The Best (and Worst) New Yorkers of 2016 (Village Voice)
Subway Dog would’ve made such a great president. Sigh.
- Favorite poetry books of 2016: a crowd-sourced compendium (Via Negativa)
Poetry lovers. We’re here, we’re sincere, get used to it.
Dave Bonta (bio) often suffers from imposter syndrome, but not in a bad way — more like some kind of flower-breathing dragon, pot-bellied and igneous. Be that as it may, all of his writing here is available for reuse and creative remix under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. For attribution in printed material, his name (Dave Bonta) will suffice, but for web use, please link back to the original. Contact him for permission to waive the “share alike” provision (e.g. for use in a conventionally copyrighted work).