Two-line haiku

A sudden waft of perfume at 1:00 a.m.:
night-blooming cereus.

Six hours of broken sleep.
I wake to find a web across my door.

I eat the good half of a hairy peach
as quickly as I can.

Distant tropical storm.
A small flock of migrants gusts around the yard.

Above the blue-and-while dogwood berries,
a blue-and-white warbler.

Series Navigation← Learn Harmonica TodaySleeper Cell →

1. 3 a.m., alarm harsh. In the dark summer swelter,
    I make a cup of coffee by touch.

1. thanks for adding the blog post link. really enjoyed this unexpected poetic start into the new week.

2. The fish with unsleeping, hollow eyes
    holds an ocean of sound in its wooden belly.

3. I misread one line three times – substituting “migrant gusts” for “flock of migrants gusts”. Either works, although I rather like the thought of even the winds migrating.

Your cereus reminds me – my cereus monstrouse bloomed in July after ten years of just sitting in its pot. One a.m. seems to be the time, regardless of variety.

1. That was a good misreading! I guess I didn’t write that because I’d already mined the thought for yesterday’s Morning Porch entry, but probably it was still influencing me.

I’m not sure what variety I have, but blooming twice in two months is quite a surprise!

4. Hands smell of sunflower
    after stripping all the buds from the busted stalk.

5. Across the street, woman picks fallen leaves
    from her car’s windshield.

6. Two-line haikus open doors
    with a crack like the wind blowing through the house.

1. see how the poet has restructured the wind as a powerful robot or even with a more gorgeous Queen or Guests waiter to unlock doors –where same species dwell

7. Inscribe this flesh with fire sear char burn
    The heat of words a wind before the mind’s inferno

1. again here the poet know the power of the word to import huge element sof nature in just few lines of love about ecosystems & whole lot of climate change -flora , fauna inclusive

8. And a Chrystalline version:

Satanic darkness lashes out,
    untroubled sea softly warms the shore.

1. this haiku looks simple yet translucent.knowing that light typically annul darkness of whatever origin or malevolence just as the sea s tranquility harvests its grace always or finally@ the shore.