Weather report

sheets on line

It got up into the 50s today. Where’s winter? There’s no snow in sight.

hoarfrost on wild turkey feather

A heavy hoarfrost this morning covered roofs and fields with the thinnest coat of white. When the sun came up, it vanished in minutes. By early afternoon, winter insects were flying. My brother Steve hiked up the hollow and reported seeing a strange species of fly with red eyes.

witch hazel 2

It’s hard to believe a new year is right around the corner.

1. I’m never ready for the day to end, let alone the year!

2. I liked the brief illusion of snow I got when I saw your first picture. At least your sky is blue. Here in Ontario it is grey, grey, grey. Quite uninspiring. I agree with you, the days and years go too quickly.

3. That’s funny – the 50’s is winter here!

I love the word “hoarfrost” and think it should be used as much as possible.

4. Hi Ruth – Happy New Year to you, too! Today is gray, but yesterday was as clear as in that photo (which was actually shot over a week ago).

twitches – That’s one reason why I live in PA and not Texas (though the latter can be nice to visit in February or March, when winter weather wears a bit thin). Agreed about “hoarfrost” — much more lyrical than “rime,” oddly enough.

5. Just a fast drive-by to send a grateful “happy new year” your way — your blog, your writing, your creative eye have been consistently inspiring, and I’m so delighted to have found you this year.

May 2007 provide many more opportunities for looking, for musing, for the muse, and for joy for you and your family, Dave.

6. Your bedsheet photo caused a double-take here, a December illusion appropriate for this spring-like weather.

I too like the word “hoarfrost”; one of Thoreau’s neighbors in mid-19th-century Concord, Massachusett was the Hoar family.

A happy new year to you, Dave!

7. Agreed about “hoarfrost.” Dave, hope your new year is as full of all the hoar you can stand.