Some tips I will pass on for reading poetry/poems:
1. Take your time.
2. Repeat often and aloud is even better.
3. Have a dictionary handy.
4. Don’t read too much at one time, just like good wine, poetry is best in sips.
5. Check out a poetry book on CD/whatever to get a flavor of how a poem sounds read aloud, which is how a poem is meant to be shared.
6. Be patient with the poem and yourself.
7. Don’t be afraid of your imagination a la Muriel Rukeyser and her comments about this subject in The Life of Poetry.
8. Read The Life of Poetry.
9. Write down your dreams in a journal. These are night poems and often great gifts to us.