Meaning the lens through which the light could come.
Some doorway inviting passage, or at least reflection.
Now I want to touch the crackly paper, unroll it so it’s flat upon the table.
Blueprint of rooms that carpenters might translate into stone, light, glass.
The sheen of wood under my heel.
Do I dare to fit the keys into their sockets?
How much for a handful of nails, a trowel, a stanza of bricks?
A nautilus is a poem fished out of water, its halls filled with cantilevered dreams.
Grass blades weighed down by rain calculate the distance their bright missiles will travel.
Poise of a pencil before the cross-hatched stroke.
Here we are on the threshold of summer—
It is only the shortest night of the year.
In response to an entry from the Morning Porch.
OTHER POSTS IN THE SERIES
- Landscape, with Ruby-Throated Hummingbird
- El Sagrado Corazon
- Three (More) Improvisations
- The Gift
- Goldfinch in the Garden
- What Cannot Eat
- Ode to the Heart Smaller than a Pencil Eraser
- Petition to Fullness
- Heart you Want to Lead in from the Cold
- Unending Lyric
- Dear modest four-bedroom, two-and-a-half bath
- Ode to the Pedicure Place at the Mall
- Letter to Attention
- Landscape, with Incipient Questions
- Letter to Stone
- Milagrito: Eye of the Raven
- What You Don’t Always See
- Going to the Acupuncturist in the Market
- Migrant Letters
- The Road of Imperfect Attentions
- In the Country of Lost Hours
- Morning Lesson
- Song of the Seamstress’s Daughter
- Landscape, with Construction Worker, Ants, and Gull
- Dream Landscape, with Ray-bans and Leyte Landing
- End Times
- Pantoum, with Spiderweb and Raindrops
- Landscape, with Variations in Allegory
- Assassin’s Wake
- Private: Each Question is Always the Same Question
- Shroud Villanelle
- Dear Annie Oakley,
- Landscape, with Red Omens
- Late Summer Landscape, with Twilight and Daughters
- Ghazal of Unattainable Silence
- Distance, Then
- Noon Prayer
- In the Convent of Perpetual Adoration
- State of Emergency
- Storm Warning
- Goodbye, Irene
- The Lovers
- Dream of the Four Directions
- Lost Lyric
- Dear recklessness, dear jeweled
- Bearing Fire