Another shell

This is a test of the Audio Player plugin for WordPress. (Feed and email subscribers will need to click through to the site to see the player, I think.) I’m reading a simple little poem I wrote last April, In a Nutshell.

[audio:http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/5/600283/In_a_Nutshell.MP3]

I don’t necessarily plan to abandon Odeo just yet, but it’s been a little buggy lately and I wanted another option in case it deteriorates further. Like the wren in the poem, I don’t want to leave anything to chance.

1. That sounds great! I’m curious how you do the recording itself. Do you use an external mic connected to your computer?

2. Yeah, it’s a basic, $40 mike — Logitech is the brand. Fine for spoken word, not so great for loud singing.

3. I’m curious, is there a reason you don’t post the poem with the audio? I only ask because it helps me hear a poem if I see the words…I like to read along. Perhaps I’m just a little slow.

4. with the two holes in the kayak, I expected it to sink. I guess you’re referring to the hidden compartments where the gear, the ballast would be.

5. Well, would it be better if I changed “holes” to “openings”? You know what I’m referring to, I imagine: a black walnut half with the thick membrane still attached, an opening on each side where the meat had connected through to the other, missing hemisphere.

6. yes, opening is much better, not likely to worry the reader.

7. So I should change “The black walnut half / had two large openings / like holes in a round kayak” to: “The black walnut half / had two large holes / like openings in a round kayak”?

I don’t know if that sounds right to me, and I wonder how confusing the original really is to most readers. I’ll give it some more thought. Thanks for the feedback.

8. The audio plug-in player worked well – perhaps better than it usually does as sometimes it doesn’t completely download or seems to take a long time.
    I liked your reading of “In a Nutshell” – your reading very much matched the poem.

9. Thanks, Bev. I appreciate the feedback. Odeo’s servers seem overloaded lots of times; I think that accounts for the slowness. It’s the same company that puts out that stupid app called Twitter — you know, the little widget where you can tell the world what you’re doing at every moment, by typing into your cell phone? It’s phenomenally successful, and I think that’s drawing all their attention away from Odeo.